Even the most experienced meteorologist can inaccurately forecast the strength of a hurricane. To keep you, your loved ones and your home safe during hurricane season (or any severe storm), prepare now with these tips, courtesy of Generac Power Systems.
1. Stock up on essentials. Having gallons of water, a storage room with food, extra batteries and waterproof emergency numbers on hand is a smart idea on its own, but will come in extra handy if you can't leave your home during a hurricane.
2. Invest in hurricane-proof windows and garage doors. When hurricane winds blow, they can damage not only your windows, doors and roof, but the actual structure of your home. Invest now in wind load and impact-resistant garage doors, and hurricane-proof windows to ensure the structure of your home stays protected.
3. Have a backup generator installed. Automatic home backup generators automatically turn on if a hurricane knocks out the power, and remain on during extended outages until power is returned, giving you and your family peace of mind and a sense of safety and security during a storm. They are safer and more convenient to use than portable generators.
4. Charge your electronics before the storm hits. Charge your cell phone, computer and other electronic devices before the storm hits. Put new batteries in flashlights and have a backup case of batteries in a watertight container.
5. Remove all outdoor furniture prior to the storm. Patio furniture, plants, trash cans and children's toys can become airborne during high winds, causing damage to your home. Place them in a garage or shed, or bolt them to a sturdy surface.
Reprinted with permission from RISMedia. ©2015. All rights reserved.